iTunes 9 spoils my fun

by Matt 11. September 2009 18:17

Last week, I had a great idea on the train. This week, Apple released iTunes 9.

These two events are related. Bear with me.

I don’t really like iTunes. It’s slow (terribly, painfully, unresponsively slow), ugly and the music glitches when you play it. But I have an iPod and listen to various podcasts, so necessity wins.

And I use it on the train. Usually minimised into the little taskbar mini-player, which is fine. But then I got Windows 7 envy. I wanted thumbnail toolbars and jump lists, just like Windows Media Player.

Cue my great idea. I remembered that iTunes has two different types of SDKs – the more well known COM based SDK, which allows out-of-process control of the application, and a much more interesting Visual Plug-in system. This is a very low level, C-based API for loading dll’s directly into iTunes. It’s mainly intended for creating graphical visualisations of the currently playing tracks, but it can also (rather intriguingly) be used for “device” plugins, which you need to sign an NDA for.

And of course, once you’ve got a dll loaded into the process you can do anything you want, such as, oh, I don’t know, support thumbnail toolbars and jump lists. Native code and the latest whizzy Windows 7 features. What a fun little project.

Until this week, when Apple released iTunes 9.

It’s prettier, looking much more at home in the washed out, over-exposed Windows 7 palette, and astonishingly, it’s faster. Much faster. Significantly faster. I can navigate between my music library and my iPod without having to go for a cup of coffee. Hooray. (The music still glitches, which is unforgivable, but it’s much better. It’s almost winning me over.)

Oh yeah, and they’ve added thumbnail toolbars and jump lists.

iTunesWin7

Thanks Apple. Thanks a bunch. Spoilsports.

Tags: , , ,

Sean Arviso
Sean Arviso
2/14/2011 9:10:16 AM #

Thanks to the built-in converter you only need one click to download and convert your video with any video codec (DivX, Xvid, MPEG4, H.264, ...) and file format (AVI, MP3, MP4, MKV, ...). There are many different software applications to download and/or convert videos, but none are more easy to use yet feature-rich than our YouTube Downloader!

ksybin
ksybin
3/20/2011 1:31:11 PM #

<BR>A cosmetic dentist is a dentist with further specialised training in cosmetic dentistry. <A href="www.nba2store.com/Denver-Nuggets-list-15">Denver Nuggets Jerseys</A> Cosmetic dentist should be a member of the British Academy <A href="www.nba2store.com/Phoenix-Suns-list-27">Phoenix Suns Jerseys</A> of Cosmetic Dentists (BACD) and prove their regular attendance of cosmetic dentistry courses. A cosmetic dentist should be registered with the GDC (General Dental Council). <BR><BR>What is an Orthodontist?<BR>An orthodontist is a dentist with specialised training in orthodontics or braces. <A href="www.nfl2jerseys.us/2010-nba-champion-patch-list-1004">2010 nba champion patch jerseys</A> An orthodontist should be registered with the GDC and regularly attend further training in orthodontics. <BR><BR>Orthodontics or Cosmetic Dentistry?<BR>Many people have the option of orthodontics or cosmetic dentistry, but which one is best?<BR>The answer depends what you need and how quickly you want the results. Cosmetic dentistry or orthodontics are equally as good, <A href="www.nhlonsale.com/2010-world-cup-list-5003">2010 world cup jerseys</A> but it depends on the individual case. Sometimes a combination of orthodontics followed by cosmetic dentistry is needed. <BR><BR>Types of Cosmetic Dentistry

suv reviews
suv reviews
7/20/2011 10:25:29 PM #

Is it ok if I quote your article in my monthly newsletter? I would think this article suits my topic perfectly. Well ya, thanks for posting this article.

iphone 4 g
iphone 4 g
7/23/2011 8:17:55 PM #

I've recently began a weblog, the data you provide on this site has helped me tremendously. Thanks for all your time &amp; work.

Vancouver wa dentist
Vancouver wa dentist
9/6/2011 2:58:44 PM #

Thank you, I have recently been looking for info about this topic for ages and yours is the best I’ve found so far. Thanks again!

south african auction
south african auction
10/3/2011 7:23:33 AM #

If you are into paintball. Check out Bidfrenzy.co.za. Paintball equipment at a fraction of retail.

Carrol Freund
Carrol Freund
10/3/2011 12:04:12 PM #

This is a pretty cool site. Keep up the good work!

Jpseed
Jpseed
10/29/2011 6:49:46 AM #

It is always difficult to get knowledgeable people with this issue, nevertheless, you be understood as you understand exactly what you are posting about! Appreciate it!

Best apps
Best apps
11/26/2011 10:59:57 AM #

Good job  , amazing Post !!!