My feelings on ORM by Jeff Attwood

by Matt 5. January 2009 17:10

If you’re going to be ghost written, it makes sense to get someone good to do it for you.

ORM is clearly a religious issue, and some buy into it more than others. I’ve got reservations, and Jeff Attwood recently articulated them very nicely in a number of Twitter posts. Namely, ORMs are great for maybe 95% of the problems, but that final 5% you pay for.

codinghorror: for me, "leaky abstraction" means I am *forced* to understand the layer being abstracted to get it to work right. ORM,webforms.

And I think this pretty much nails it for me. The impedance mismatch is still alive and well and causing problems. Or to put it another way:

the only way to truly resolve the ORM problem is to get rid of the letters "O" or "R", depending on your tastes.

suv review
suv review
7/20/2011 10:27:07 PM #

Is it ok if I quote your article in my monthly newsletter? I would think this article suits my topic perfectly. Well ya, thanks for posting this article.

iphone developer program
iphone developer program
7/24/2011 4:51:41 AM #

photographe mariage paris
photographe mariage paris United States
6/8/2015 2:00:51 AM #

I have seen that today, more and more people are increasingly being attracted to cameras and the industry of digital photography. However, to be a photographer, it's important to first spend so much period deciding the exact model of photographic camera to buy as well as moving  store to store just so you can buy the most economical camera of the trademark you have decided to pick. But it isn't going to end at this time there. You also have to contemplate whether you should buy a digital digital camera extended warranty. Thx for the good suggestions I gathered from your website.

Athena Deodato
Athena Deodato United States
1/15/2016 4:22:56 AM #

Congrats! This is such a great website, I know it will translate well into book form. Which is AWESOME!

Taren Esh
Taren Esh United States
1/15/2016 5:15:09 AM #

Meggan Monas
Meggan Monas United States
1/15/2016 6:07:45 AM #

Darnell Drape
Darnell Drape United States
1/15/2016 6:43:21 AM #

I can't wait to read this masterpiece. Ordering off the menu at fast food restaurants and old dangerous playground equipment have to be in the book!

Rodolfo Thomases
Rodolfo Thomases United States
1/15/2016 7:15:21 AM #

Printing out an essay or paper, reading the first line and realizing there aren't any mistakes.<br />AWESOME!

Esteban Urbancic
Esteban Urbancic United States
7/21/2016 3:03:00 PM #

but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my authorization. Do you know any solutions to help prevent content from being ripped off?

Kala Krolick
Kala Krolick United States
8/14/2016 7:50:54 PM #

Some may think that because there are levels of payment that it must be a pyramid scheme; this could not be further from the truth. I get into the pyramid scheme question in another article, but in short, ACN provides products and services that are sold to the END USER and that very point is key to making any multi-level or Burnaby Internet Marketing legal.

Linnie Tousant
Linnie Tousant United States
8/25/2016 4:00:11 AM #

unrelated but I was thinking which post platform are you using for this website? I’m getting tired of WordPress because I’ve had issues with hackers and I’m looking at alternatives for another platform. It would be helpful if you could point me in the direction of a nice platform.

Wealth Link Credit 富通信貸
Wealth Link Credit 富通信貸 United States
10/8/2018 4:00:03 AM #

全面提供樓宇按揭貸款計劃及優惠,不限物業種類及樓齡,免收入証明及繁複的審查程序。 極具透明度及彈性. 24小時批核. 法例認可放債人機構.一按、二按、轉按、加按?無任歡迎 上市公司經營,信心保證,立即申請! 度身訂做借貸計劃.

IELLIOS是由歐盟資助倫敦大學細胞重建研究所研究. 採用諾貝爾生理醫學獎科技 , 透過"納米能量電流" 以最親膚與迅速導入的方式 , 利用電腦化系統去令皮膚再生 , 令皮膚組織在無創傷的情況下自然更新及收緊 . 這治療是無創無痛的 . 完成治療後亦沒有傷口 . 我們是香港第一引入IELLIOS的機構 , 醫生會根據客人不同情況去為你設計不同的組合 .在外國IELLIOS受到很多荷里活明星, 歌手以至政客的追棒 , Madonna的facialist kate somer -field就常用IELLIOS為她護理肌膚 , 令52歲的她肌膚輪廓均保持於30歲的狀態.  IELLIOS的訊號技術,採用心臟起博起原理,活躍無法正常運作的心臟細胞。訊號技術可活化及修復愛損皮膚,透過傳送訊號,激活靜止的細胞。IELLIOS的訊號技術給予細胞指令,引發細胞再次生長,令肌膚重回年輕。

LUDEYA 露蒂雅 【臉部保養系列】6D超緊緻立體環繞微臻精華 6D Lifting Power Infusing Essence的商品介紹   LUDEYA 露蒂雅,臉部保養系列,6D超緊緻立體環繞微臻精華 6D Lifting Power Infusing Essence

瞬速
瞬速 United States
10/16/2018 7:11:51 AM #

CLINIQUE 倩碧線上購物官網。瀏覽Clinique倩碧官方網站,了解更多線上購物、護膚、彩粧、香氛及禮品詳情。通過過敏性測試,百分百不含香料。

GATSBY 【造型系列】超強塑型髮腊的商品介紹   GATSBY,造型系列,超強塑型髮腊

ICE RIVER 美妝品牌情報匯集   找品牌 ICE RIVER ICE RIVER ,匯集了ICE RIVER其它護髮,洗髮乳,美髮護理系列

January Silva
January Silva United States
10/25/2018 1:41:06 PM #

06. Add a grid

مسلسلات تورنت
مسلسلات تورنت United States
3/5/2019 3:35:56 AM #

amazing post , thanks for the effort that put in this amazing post

how to download fortnite
how to download fortnite United States
3/15/2019 12:46:44 AM #

Excellent read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing some research on that. And he just bought me lunch since I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch!

moviestarplanet
moviestarplanet United States
3/15/2019 6:01:36 AM #

Deference to op , some  superb   selective information .