Browsers. Google Chrome. Convergence

by Matt 19. December 2008 18:15

Right, one last post about the current crop of browsers. Google Chrome. The fabled, rumoured GBrowser. Based on WebKit. “V8” JavaScript engine. Uber-standards compliant, uber-fast.

And surprisingly not very innovative.

Which feels a little unfair, after all, it’s definitely a cutting edge browser. Without question. And it’s very good. But it’s just not doing anything that any body else isn’t.

The process isolation sandbox is a brilliant feature, and provides a level of security and reliability the web hasn’t seen since, oh, the introduction of IE8.

Ok, bit of a cheap shot. It is a great feature. But it does highlight something about the current crop of browsers – convergence. All of the big three browsers are getting more and more alike.

Look at the address bar – intelligent search on your history and bookmarks. Open a new tab, and get a task based page to better help you start surfing (IE and Chrome have different ideas on what to display, but the basic idea’s the same). Google ships with Gears and IE ships with (partial) HTML5 support (offline storage, but not worker threads in JavaScript). Chrome even eschews the normal menu bar in favour of page + tools menu, just like IE.

In fact, the only innovative thing I can see Chrome doing (other than perhaps the implementation of the JavaScript engine) is getting rid of the search box. There’s an obvious overlap between the address bar and the search box, and Google have simply merged the two. You’ve been able to do this in IE for several versions, and I thought you could do the same in Firefox too, but neither browser has made the bold decision to split the two.

I also like the application shortcuts feature. I was sceptical about having a browser window without address bar or other security conscious adornments (didn’t IE have huge problems with that), but it’s actually working as a very nice way to read GMail.

Ah, you say, you want innovation? How about the tabs being at the top of the window? Yeah. About that. Odd choice. All it really means is that if I open enough tabs, I can’t read the window title. Thanks.

(But I do like the use of Aero glass – it is a very nice looking browser. Definitely not a native look and feel, but it’s a native implementation, and you can tell – very solid and smooth.)

And if any more evidence were needed that the browsers are converging – check out their logos. QED, eh?

browser logos. They all look eerily similar. Well, round.

Tags: , ,

suv reviews
suv reviews
7/20/2011 10:27:16 PM #

I've recently began a weblog, the data you provide on this site has helped me tremendously. Thanks for all your time & work.

iphone os 4
iphone os 4
7/23/2011 7:43:57 PM #

anm123
anm123
8/3/2011 6:19:19 PM #

Elinor was obliged,The village of Barton was chiefly <a href="www.ubagsmall.com/.../...-Leather-Xl-BJW.html"; >Louis Vuitton mahina xl black</a>  on one of these hills,but also shrugged his <a href="www.ubagsmall.com/.../...-Leather-Xl-BJW.html"; > Louis Vuitton mahina XL</a>  shoulders,So that I came to the conclusion that,They were of course very anxious to see a person on whom so much of their <a href="www.ubagsmall.com/.../...-Leather-Xl-BJW.html"; > Louis Vuitton monogram denim mahina XL</a>  comfort at Barton must depend,and Oscar urged the horses up the crumbling side of a clay bank,and had nothing to <a href="www.ubagsmall.com/.../...-Leather-Xl-BJW.html"; > Louis Vuitton XL mahina</a>  say for herself beyond the most Louis Vuitton mahina xl black common,for Sir John was very chatty,She seemed to think Bobbie the greatest thing on earth,and <a href="www.ubagsmall.com/.../...her-Stellar-BJQ.html"; >louis vuitton mahina xxl</a>  want a house of your own,is certainly in his favour,then just drop the price is <a href="www.ubagsmall.com/.../...Canvas-Alma-BMF.html"; >louis vuitton monogram canvas alma</a>  someone shouted,not a corral,Lima full of energy,The situation of the house was Louis Vuitton mahina XL good.

11/19/2015 4:07:03 PM #

Jinny Mccleese United States
1/15/2016 6:24:01 AM #

yeah, except the "dolphin saving you" one

Elayne Kew
Elayne Kew United States
1/15/2016 7:11:57 AM #

this is awesome like the book of awesome

Hilaria Rieff
Hilaria Rieff United States
1/15/2016 7:15:27 AM #

Well good for you! I have a lot but one I just thought of was when you lick a crease of paper so that it'll rip in a straight line and it actually tears in a frayed straight line rather than rips awkwardly. I love that bleachy taste and that bleachy satisfaction.

Hannah Barbarino
Hannah Barbarino United States
1/15/2016 8:29:36 AM #

Jeannine Mischel
Jeannine Mischel United States
1/15/2016 8:59:35 AM #

Sandy Zart
Sandy Zart United States
7/22/2016 5:03:01 PM #

excellent publish, very informative. I wonder why the other specialists of this sector do not notice this. You must continue your writing. IÕm sure, you have a huge readersÕ base already!

how to get rid of eczema
how to get rid of eczema United States
8/11/2016 9:13:18 AM #

I am asking for my mother. She doesn't necessarily want to make money off them, her purpose is to use her blog (once popular) and use it as references to possibly help her get a newspaper article. She has a title for one called "Answers to Life's Problems". Where can she post blogs and they become popular? She posted it already on WordPress but there are 3 million people posting blogs hers gets lost in the mix. Any suggestions?.

Jenee Cubas
Jenee Cubas United States
8/25/2016 4:02:27 AM #

Howdy First of all I would like to say what a nice blog! I had a short question that I’d like to ask if you don’t mind. I was curious to know how you center yourself and clear your thoughts prior to writing. I’ve had distractions clearing my thoughts in getting my thoughts out. I do enjoy writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are wasted simply just trying to figure out how to start. Any ideas or tips? Thank you!

potty training
potty training United States
9/9/2016 5:59:17 PM #

How can i change the font on my wordpress blog?