Build your own context menu key

by Matt 17. June 2008 16:26

Turns out, my expensive, stupidly big laptop doesn’t have a context menu key. You know, one of these:

shortcut-menu-key

Now, I’m kind of used to the fact that laptop keyboards layouts are implemented with random number generators, and have pretty much resigned myself to the muscle memory stutter when trying to hit end, home or page up and page down on any particular machine, but to take away my context menu key is just rude.

Especially when they’ve bothered to include a number pad. I’ve already got one set of numbers, thanks.

It’s taken me over a week to find it on my work Dell laptop – head top right then turn left four or five buttons. But it’s completely MIA on my new machine. (But if you use Fn + End, it opens calculator. I have no idea why.)

Fortunately, Windows is smart enough to include a registry value to change the values sent to the system when you press specific keys. Don’t like your keyboard layout? Change it.

Of course, it’s in scary binary format, so download a program to help you. I used SharpKeys, but there are plenty of them out there – they don’t need to install, just to change a single registry value.

So now it was just a choice of which key to use. The closest in physical position was AltGr, which according to Wikipedia, is only useful for getting the Euro sign € and the pipe symbol ¦ on the UK keyboard, and guess what, Windows lets you use Ctrl + Left Alt instead of AltGr.

Which meant a quick map of Right Alt to the “Application” key and a logout later, and I’ve got a working context menu key. Another fine hack.

It might be worth having a bit of a mooch through the list of keys in this tool, though. You can map all sorts of keys to special functions like Media Up and Down, and yes, Calculator.

Of course, I could have just pressed Shift + F10.

my free site
my free site
5/19/2011 5:35:38 AM #

This really is spectacular! I just take advantage of reading through your well written articles once I recieve your feed notify.

best suv
best suv
7/20/2011 10:28:53 PM #

Una pagina sarà dedicata agli accessori, una alle giacche e ai giubbotti. Troverai le indicazioni per lo spaccio o negozio Moncler più vicino a casa tua e tutte le offerte più vantaggiose di questo prestigioso marchio.

best hybrid cars 2011
best hybrid cars 2011
7/22/2011 4:37:14 AM #

best ipad games
best ipad games
7/24/2011 3:58:57 AM #

Is it ok if I quote your article in my monthly newsletter? I would think this article suits my topic perfectly. Well ya, thanks for posting this article.

Salcedo Juanato | CCTV Training
Salcedo Juanato | CCTV Training
9/29/2011 12:47:55 PM #

Wireless cctv is better than the usual crap

monster beats pro
monster beats pro
10/30/2011 10:44:38 PM #

After all this time, it's still you.