The Tao of Helvetica

by Matt 14. February 2008 11:35

Want to see an example of good writing? A little while ago, I got rather excited upon seeing a documentary for Helvetica. Yes, the typeface. No, that's not the example of good writing.

Jeff Atwood recently waxed lyrical on the very same subject. And of course, he came over all, you know, erudite and knowledgeable, while I just sounded like a geek. Huh.

At least I was there first? Nope, not even close. The Helvetica-the-movie-the-blog has been posting since January 2007, and it's fascinating.

And I'll tell you why I think it's fascinating. Firstly, it's a classic typeface. Its sheer ubiquity is astonishing - but you don't need me to tell you that. Watch the documentary. It's a very good film - better than you might give it credit for, given its subject.

But that's just a specialisation. This is all about attention to detail. A designer has specifically chosen to use that typeface. It's going to have a huge impact on their design, from branding to readability, portraying a particular message, image, lifestyle. And most people won't notice. It's a nearly invisible detail, and yet it's been lavished with such attention. That's brilliant.

I remember when I first realised this. Not long out of university I was working for a company that did finite element analysis. One of our customers modelled glass bottles, or more accurately, making them. I can still remember being amazed at the amount of effort and variation that can go into making a bottle. A plain, old, anonymous bottle.

It was the secret life of stuff. Everything gets complex the deeper you look.

And it got me hooked on the detail. There's something deeply satisfying about peeking behind the curtain and seeing this at work. Ever noticed how subtly the iPod's backlight fades in and out? How the rear windscreen wiper comes on automatically when it's raining and you switch into reverse?

But more than that, it's affected how I work. If you see how much care there is in everyday stuff, well, you just have to be as considerate in your work, don't you?

So go on, spoil yourself. Go font spotting.

best suv reviews
best suv reviews
7/20/2011 10:30:48 PM #

Una pagina sarà dedicata agli accessori, una alle giacche e ai giubbotti. Troverai le indicazioni per lo spaccio o negozio Moncler più vicino a casa tua e tutte le offerte più vantaggiose di questo prestigioso marchio.

iphone 4 g
iphone 4 g
7/23/2011 8:55:24 PM #

Is it ok if I quote your article in my monthly newsletter? I would think this article suits my topic perfectly. Well ya, thanks for posting this article.

direct consolidation loans
direct consolidation loans
8/2/2011 9:09:45 PM #

Hi,what an excellent article this is,I found it on bing and I like it very much,I agree with what you have said, lots of things will be learned form your site,but I still have some questions with the last part,can you explain it for me ?I will appreciate your answer,and I will be back again!

Lauren Button
Lauren Button United States
1/15/2016 4:56:48 AM #

Well good for you! I have a lot but one I just thought of was when you lick a crease of paper so that it'll rip in a straight line and it actually tears in a frayed straight line rather than rips awkwardly. I love that bleachy taste and that bleachy satisfaction.

Deena Hofer
Deena Hofer United States
1/15/2016 6:06:32 AM #

Hey, congratulations Neil. This site really is something special and it's been a pleasure to share it with my readership too. Looking forward to future awesome things, and I'll send any suggestions that are sufficiently awesome.

Irvin Dewinter
Irvin Dewinter United States
1/15/2016 7:19:30 AM #

Russell Schlappi
Russell Schlappi United States
1/15/2016 8:31:07 AM #

Printing out an essay or paper, reading the first line and realizing there aren't any mistakes.<br />AWESOME!

POŻYCZKI
POŻYCZKI United States
6/23/2016 9:53:36 AM #

Pożyczka pozabankowa Net Credit

REJESTRACJA DOMEN
REJESTRACJA DOMEN United States
6/25/2016 8:16:16 AM #

Odzyskiwanie domen

how to potty train
how to potty train United States
8/25/2016 1:44:43 AM #

What is the best way to copyright the content of an online blog?

nutra forskolin
nutra forskolin United States
9/7/2016 4:05:18 PM #

I want to start a website.  It will be asking for money only to fund the seminars associated with holding meetings for the clients and for mailouts.  How should I go about setting that up?.

potty training video
potty training video United States
9/9/2016 6:25:28 PM #

How do I start a blog with payment options for readers?

加強優化面部輪廓,可被身體完全吸引,能自然地修飾面部輪廓 功效可長達24個月以上 JUVEDERM的特點: 效果立即可見 非永久性 非手術性 安全有效 效果自然  JUVEDERM獲歐盟(CE)及美國及藥物管理局(FDA)認證 首先及唯一獲得FDA認證在首次療程後能維持長達一年2-4功效 新世代專員Hylacross科技為產品帶來獨特的物理特質,包括凝聚力、支撐力及柔順度 8點提升 這是一套由全球著名醫學美容醫生Dr. Maurício de Maio,以JUVÉDERM®系列透明質酸產品為基礎而研發的面部優化療程,藉著簡單程序便達致面部優化效果,不需進行手術,減低風險。 此療程會根據病人的個別情況,重點針對面部8個最常因流失膠原蛋白及彈性纖維而凹陷的位置,再依據特定的順序,從顴骨至下巴位置配合JUVÉDERM®系列的透明質酸產品進行療程,從而改善這些位置的豐盈度及滑溜度,全面性優化面部輪廓。

醫學防曬專家-Daylong護日朗  醫學防曬專家-Daylong護日朗

專業級緊容抗老保養組合 - CLARINS  了解克蘭詩全新的煥顏緊緻乳霜,抗皺撫紋,逆齡緊緻。購物滿€70即可享免運費服務。

男裝穿搭|平價質感時尚 Just For Show服飾網購平台 讓大叔也能穿出休閒潮感 - 柯蘿依Chloe♥ - FashionGuide 華人時尚專業評鑑  大衛哥的穿搭文來囉!,平常都是我在分享穿搭,這回主角換他,女生服飾網購平台很多,每次我都買到很不好意思,