Silverlight and the CoreCLR

by Matt 23. May 2007 17:57

So I'm only really just catching up with the fun and games of Mix07. (The kitchen has a lovely new coat of paint, the holiday was nice, but plagued with minor illness and my work project has just been put on hold. I've been busy, alright?)

I don't really want to simply regurgitate the list of new products here, but there are a few things of interest I'd like to comment on. I have a feeling I'm going to be using the word "interesting" a lot...

Of course, Silverlight was the star of the show. They've revved the beta version and apart from the rebranding, one thing to catch my eye was the use of the ASP.NET AJAX style of JavaScript (namespaces, classes, etc) in the launcher scripts. Reinforces that it's an integral part of the ASP.NET family. Nice.

But who's looking at the 1.0 beta? It's already old news - Microsoft have taken the very interesting step of also releasing an alpha version of 1.1. Is this a good way to stop the "waiting for SP1" mentality? (If so, they're using the same tactic with Expression Blend - releasing the RTM of v1 and the beta of v2 on the same day.)

Yeah, 1.1 is where it's at. I don't think anyone was really surprised with the CLR in the browser. No, I think the big surprise is that's it's not the tiny CLR - it's the real deal. It's a slimmed down version of the .net 2 runtime engine. Aside from BCL changes, I think the main thing that's missing is the CAS security model and P/Invoke and COM interop, but essentially, it's the desktop CLR. It can run side-by-side in-process with the desktop version (which could mean scary things when both CLRs want to suspend threads for garbage collection). I'm also wondering what the ramifications of this refactoring will be on the desktop version. Will any of these changes filter back up? Will the CoreCLR be a true subset of the desktop version? Or will it become like the .net Compact Framework, where classes don't have all the same methods and properties, making compatibility a bit of a challenge.

Just to show how cutting edge it is, it's based on .net 3.5 - it's got some LINQ stuff in, but no heavy duty implementations, just LINQ over objects, with LINQ over xml coming soon. Microsoft have posted a very useful little diagram with the supported namespaces and classes which shows the ambitious scope for this. The System.Windows.Browser namespace looks fun - another API for accessing the DOM? But the best bit of the diagram is support for WCF. A client side WS-* stack (hopefully with CardSpace support) in a cross platform (ah, probably not with CardSpace, then) browser plugin for just a couple of meg? I'm pretty close to thinking that's the holy grail.

I'm really looking forward to playing with Silverlight. There's a huge amount of technical innovation going on here that deserves a lot of study and comment.

Not the least of which is the Dynamic Language Runtime...

Silverlight

best suv 2010
best suv 2010
7/20/2011 10:21:15 PM #

I wonder if he cheated on her? I remember he cheated on his previous wife with JLO so it wouldn’t be surprising.

best hybrid cars
best hybrid cars
7/22/2011 4:41:01 AM #

Una pagina sarà dedicata agli accessori, una alle giacche e ai giubbotti. Troverai le indicazioni per lo spaccio o negozio Moncler più vicino a casa tua e tutte le offerte più vantaggiose di questo prestigioso marchio.

iphone developer program
iphone developer program
7/24/2011 6:07:34 AM #

LAURENCE  Debora
LAURENCE Debora
7/27/2011 10:48:48 AM #

Bienvenue sur annuaires-gratuit.com.Des fonctionnalités inédites, nombreuses annuaires.

paintball equipment
paintball equipment
10/2/2011 6:03:01 AM #

If you are into paintball. Check out Bidfrenzy.co.za. Paintball equipment at a fraction of retail.

Stephen
Stephen
11/8/2011 5:39:41 PM #

Thank you!  I finally got what I was looking for.  You covered  this subject very well.

photographe mariage paris
photographe mariage paris United States
6/8/2015 2:18:07 AM #

I've come across that right now, more and more people are attracted to surveillance cameras and the field of picture taking. However, like a photographer, you must first expend so much time frame deciding the model of dslr camera to buy in addition to moving from store to store just so you could potentially buy the most affordable camera of the brand you have decided to decide on. But it does not end now there. You also have take into consideration whether you should obtain a digital digicam extended warranty. Thanks for the good suggestions I acquired from your web site.

11/19/2015 2:28:11 AM #

good website

11/28/2015 6:53:59 AM #

ace site

Arlie Toth
Arlie Toth United States
1/13/2016 3:13:40 PM #

yeah, except the "dolphin saving you" one

Stanley Tocci
Stanley Tocci United States
1/15/2016 4:58:48 AM #

getting laid AWSOME

Vonnie Liter
Vonnie Liter United States
1/15/2016 7:49:03 AM #

Chang Carbonneau
Chang Carbonneau United States
1/15/2016 8:54:45 AM #

Patrica Guccione
Patrica Guccione United States
1/17/2016 9:57:53 PM #

I can't wait to read this masterpiece. Ordering off the menu at fast food restaurants and old dangerous playground equipment have to be in the book!

Deena Hofer
Deena Hofer United States
1/20/2016 6:22:44 AM #

Son Thiesse
Son Thiesse United States
3/16/2016 7:54:43 AM #

How to let the other people know about your blogspot?

Shirleen
Shirleen United States
4/1/2016 2:50:06 PM #

Hi! I know as a fellow determined blogger that it can be at times quite tough to get people to read your creations. So I had a freelance do this new tool that you should absolutely check. A free Twitter Tumblr automation tool that will help you get your content seen by plenty of people. Get it here now http://bit.ly/Free-Bots If you like it tweet me what you think on @Automationbots. Cheers!

online chat rooms free
online chat rooms free United States
4/21/2016 12:51:33 PM #

Cheers so much for grant this facts. This is the best solution for entertainment. These are one of the top game & anyone can fully enjoy with these games. Given that i am also play these games. Wish so these games have a positive response this will let you good feedback as well.</p><p>I spend lots of time because of type of games. Finally, Before some days I became installed. SoftMozer is a free applicaion download and install site offering

POŻYCZKI
POŻYCZKI United States
6/23/2016 8:47:22 AM #

POŻYCZKA POZABANKOWA

DOMENY
DOMENY United States
6/25/2016 6:58:13 AM #

Rejestracja Domen

Kay Kuilan
Kay Kuilan United States
7/21/2016 5:01:01 PM #

Positive day I am hence grateful I found your site, I particularly found on your own through incident, though I was researching on Aol for nearly anything else

Gilda Shibuya
Gilda Shibuya United States
8/25/2016 4:11:20 AM #

Howdy I'm appreciating the time and energy you put into your blog and informative information you did. It’s great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same out of date remake information. Awesome read! I’ve bookmarked your site and I’m including your RSS feeds to my Google account.

Mary Erke
Mary Erke United States
9/17/2016 12:34:13 PM #

Hi! That works like a charm! Does it work with NBN too?

Issac Maez
Issac Maez United States
10/18/2016 2:33:16 AM #

Un petit message pour vous dire que votre site est vraiment excellent ! je suis vos infos r�guli�rement et j'esp�re qu'elles continueront! A bient�t !

Tyson F. Gautreaux
Tyson F. Gautreaux United States
10/18/2016 2:33:17 AM #

Bonjour � vous, j'appr�cie votre site et je tenais � vous le dire ! bonne continuation !

Andrew A. Sailer