When will Sidebar be useful?

by Matt 8. March 2007 17:48

So, LifeHacker has picked up on the AmbientClock. Seeing this again, especially with their focus of using it in a Google gadget made me think that this is exactly the kind of gadget that could finally make the Vista Sidebar useful.

I've been running the Sidebar since I got Vista, and I'm still not really sold on it. I'm still failing to see what use these gadgets/widgets/whatever are. I think it just adds to the information overload. Most of the gadgets I've seen either give you access to information that's already easily available (such as battery status - already next to the clock) or that you just don't really need (CPU meter springs to mind. If I'm concerned about my CPU usage, I'll look in Task Manager to see what is actually slowing my machine down).

My current line up includes a weather gadget (I can look out the window, thanks), the standard RSS feed viewer (all the headlines are truncated, and it's not the nicest reading experience). I've got a BBC radio gadget, which is rather nice, but just doesn't see much use. The default clock is nice, and is probably why the Sidebar has stayed as long as it has. The nearest I've got to a killer app (at least in theory) is a clipboard ring. But it's kinda dull looking, and only supports text, and I haven't actually used it yet. I like the idea though.

An AmbientClock Sidebar gadget hooked up to your Windows Calendar (or Outlook) could be pretty impressive. So why is this different? The clock's already available, as is the calendar information. And the answer is I dunno. But there's a lot of this gadget stuff about - those users can't all be wrong. Right?

Vista

JDM
JDM
3/9/2007 4:45:01 AM #

RE: When will Sidebar be useful?

I've always seen the sidebar as a simple vertical variation of the taskbar notification area.  Most of the widgets/gadgets that I see have been done to death on the taskbar, now we've just got a way of showing the same information but taking up a lot more screen real estate.

In terms of anything useful then maybe it's worth looking at which you have running in your notification area for guidance.  One thing that does spring to mind is the CruiseControl CCTray build notifier, a nice scrolling version of that RSS style might be nice.

On the whole though, I agree it's a nice gimmick and I think that's exactly what it is.

best suv 2011
best suv 2011
7/20/2011 10:22:30 PM #

Per il tuo bambino scegli Moncler. Una scelta di capi, estivi ed invernali, eccezionali. Tuo figlio sarà sempre alla moda e potrà muoversi in totale comodità.

Andywills
Andywills
10/5/2011 11:00:40 AM #

Hi thanks again for your help

Andy

11/27/2015 7:31:20 PM #

Ace Site.

Janean Finkelson
Janean Finkelson United States
1/15/2016 4:57:00 AM #

I love the dolphin saving you one.

Arnulfo Rametta
Arnulfo Rametta United States
1/15/2016 6:24:10 AM #

Lidia Loser
Lidia Loser United States
1/15/2016 8:29:40 AM #

Mitch Groene
Mitch Groene United States
1/15/2016 8:59:27 AM #

Let me be the first to say: Congrats, Neil! I've been following this site from day one, and have loved every single day of awesomeness that it has delivered. You deserve all the success coming your way. Keep it up!AWESOME!

POŻYCZKA
POŻYCZKA United States
6/23/2016 8:18:03 AM #

pożyczka pozabankowa

rejestracja domen
rejestracja domen United States
6/25/2016 6:29:25 AM #

BEZPŁATNE KONTO HOSTINGOWE 5GB DLA KAŻDEJ REJESTRACJI NOWEJ POLSKIEJ DOMENY!

Asanka Peidris
Asanka Peidris United States
7/20/2016 7:43:10 AM #

Take my word for it, it's not as easy as you think

Olinda Difrancesco
Olinda Difrancesco United States
8/25/2016 4:08:52 AM #

Greetings! I know this is somewhat  but I was thinking which blog platform are you using for this website? I’m getting annoyed of WordPress because I’ve had issues with autopcposters and I’m looking at alternatives for another platform. It would be great if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

acné
acné United States
10/6/2017 10:20:41 AM #

I’ve recently started a website, the information you offer on this web site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work.