Missing Vista Feature #1 - Notifications

by Matt 22. September 2006 18:22

The Windows Vista Team blog recently posted about Preventing Interrupted Presentations with Windows Vista, and it reminded me of something.

Back in the day, Longhorn (as it was known then) was going to have a unified Notification API. It extended XP's balloon notifications with a much more versatile interface, something more like the incredibly flexible TaskDialog API. It would allow you to build a notification window that did pretty much what everyone's custom "toast" solutions do now - provide info, respond to button clicks, timers, you name it.

I've snaffled a few pictures that I could dredge up from the interweb. I did have one that came from the long-gone UI guidelines, but that appears to have vanished somewhere.

Update: Found it!

Here are a couple from a codeproject article, showing the notification itself and the list of all notifications from a very early build:

Then a view of the notification from the 4074 build from the forums on shellrevealed:

And finally, a dodgy yet rather pretty version with glass enabled, which appears to be from aeroxp.org, but I can't find it on the page (here's the pic). It appears to have been taken at PDC 2003:

Unlike the roll-your-own solution, XP's balloon notifications will ensure you only see one at a time and will delay the notification until you're around to see it. Longhorn was going to take that further and queue up notifications in the sidebar when you were busy.

Paul Thurrott wrote about it in a review of Longhorn 4051. You'll need to scroll down to the bit about "Sidebar parts, alerts and notifications".

Longhorn had it. Vista doesn't.

Instead, according to the Vista blog, the best we get is this:

Windows Vista’s presentations settings block 2 types of notifications:  system notifications and Windows Live Messenger notifications.

And Outlook and Office Communicator don't work with this. James Senior has a couple of interesting posts, one looking at presentation mode from the end user experience and the other one on how developers can join in the fun

Not quite as grand as the original Longhorn plan, eh?

LAURENCE  Debora
LAURENCE Debora
7/12/2011 9:46:29 AM #

Super Méta moteur de recherche sukoga.com, recherche pdf, news, ebay, forums, vos avis svp ??

LAURENCE  Debora
LAURENCE Debora
7/15/2011 9:29:24 AM #

Forum d'entraide - Assistance, support technique, entraide, web-assistance-france.com.

iphone os 4
iphone os 4
7/23/2011 8:50:58 PM #

ipad apps
ipad apps
7/24/2011 4:41:42 AM #

LAURENCE  Debora
LAURENCE Debora
7/27/2011 10:48:30 AM #

Bienvenue sur annuaires-gratuit.com.Des fonctionnalités inédites, nombreuses annuaires.

11/19/2015 11:43:56 AM #

superb web site

11/20/2015 2:01:04 AM #

superb website

11/20/2015 7:31:03 PM #

Superb Site

Luvenia Colier
Luvenia Colier United States
1/6/2016 2:48:50 PM #

Well good for you! I have a lot but one I just thought of was when you lick a crease of paper so that it'll rip in a straight line and it actually tears in a frayed straight line rather than rips awkwardly. I love that bleachy taste and that bleachy satisfaction.

Maria Robinett
Maria Robinett United States
1/15/2016 4:53:14 AM #

Congrats! This is such a great website, I know it will translate well into book form. Which is AWESOME!

Robin Eisiminger
Robin Eisiminger United States
1/15/2016 6:07:44 AM #

Elinor Gupta
Elinor Gupta United States
1/15/2016 6:43:20 AM #

yeah, except the "dolphin saving you" one

Elinor Gupta
Elinor Gupta United States
1/15/2016 7:11:52 AM #

getting laid AWSOME

Chang Carbonneau
Chang Carbonneau United States
1/15/2016 7:15:21 AM #

Maria Robinett
Maria Robinett United States
1/15/2016 8:29:13 AM #

Hey, congratulations Neil. This site really is something special and it's been a pleasure to share it with my readership too. Looking forward to future awesome things, and I'll send any suggestions that are sufficiently awesome.

Venita Iborra
Venita Iborra United States
1/15/2016 8:29:38 AM #

I can't wait to read this masterpiece. Ordering off the menu at fast food restaurants and old dangerous playground equipment have to be in the book!

Nelly Denmark
Nelly Denmark United States
8/25/2016 4:16:17 AM #

Superb post but I was wanting to know if you could post a litte more on this subject? I’d be very appreciative if you could elaborate a little bit further. Thank You!

Carroll B. Merriman
Carroll B. Merriman United States
10/18/2016 2:32:46 AM #

Bonjour � vous, j'appr�cie votre site et je tenais � vous le dire ! bonne continuation !

Burton Haynes
Burton Haynes United States
10/18/2016 2:42:25 AM #

Fausto Serisky
Fausto Serisky United States
1/22/2017 8:55:07 AM #

You should choose a website package that will make your website a cut above the rest. This does not mean that you should opt for a fancy web site design. A good creative designer is one who will be able to offer a creative brief based on the design package chosen by you.

This course, to which I got free access as bonus for being in the Mastermind, consisted mostly of videos showing how to do everything from find developers and designers on major freelancing sites to how to set up an Apple iOS Developer account. With these apps you will be asked various questions. The company must be staffed with writers, posters, programmers, SEO specialists (onsite and offsite), Port Coquitlam android app development, Surrey mobile app development developers, social media page designers and posters, and more. You should know who you re supplying to so that you can make your application accordingly.

Zonia Notarnicola
Zonia Notarnicola United States
5/15/2017 8:12:29 PM #

my blog is a link on my web home page and I would like it to show the posts from the blog? Any ideas?

Rich Surles
Rich Surles United States
5/15/2017 8:53:08 PM #

How do I start and use a blog? Also, what is the best blogging site?

cash for cars
cash for cars United States
9/19/2018 12:10:59 PM #

I  consider  something really  interesting about your  weblog  so I  saved sex fav.