Documentation for search protocol handlers

by Matt 31. August 2006 14:14

Well, I've found some more documentation. And it's got me a bit nervous.

The IFilter stuff is fine. I don't think that's changed at all since it was first created for NT4.

The problem is with the protocol handlers.

The MSN Toolbar docs point to this documentation for Sharepoint Portal Server SDK 2001. It, of course, talks about everything from a Sharepoint Portal Server 2001 point of view. And I of course have absolutely no idea what's going on. It's written from the point of view that you already know what each part of the system is, what they do, and how they talk. It's also 5 years old. Still, it links to the reference info for the required interfaces, so I guess it's a good start. There's even a sample, which seems to be the only place you can get the header files for ISearchProtocol.

Getting a little more modern, there's a slightly expanded version of the same docs for SharePoint Portal Server 2003 - only 3 years out of date. It has a nice little troubleshooting section, and provides a bit more detail on a couple of the interfaces to implement. There's also a bit of a reference section. But we're still talking SharePoint, not WDS.

Then there's the MSN Toolbar docs themselves. Again, it's all a bit everything-you-need-without-any-detail. But it does detail how you register a protocol handler (without telling you how to get the ISearchManger interface). The big problem is that it's for Windows Desktop Search when it was still called the MSN Desktop Search. I'm presuming the registration still works...

Things get really interesting when you go to the Windows Shell MSDN library page. Looking in the tree view on the left you'll see nodes for WDS 2.x and WDS 3.0. Only the 2.x version has a landing page. It's described as preliminary documentation, and only talks about IFilter. The interfaces listed in the reference section aren't terribly useful, either.

The WDS 3.0 section only has reference information, and lists 39 interfaces, a couple of which are also mentioned in the Sharepoint docs. Unfortunately, it's ISearchManager interface has completely different methods to the MSN Toolbar interface of the same name, and offers no way of registering protocols handlers. It looks like WDS has had quite an overhaul for version 3/Vista. This post on MSDN's forums seems to confirm that there's quite a difference.

And that's what's making me nervous. I've currently got WDS 3.0 Beta 2 running, but I think I'd be happier developing towards the 2.x version - because it looks more like the SharePoint stuff that I've got a sample for. Plus, I don't have the headers for the Vista stuff - I don't fancy downloading a beta version of the Platform SDK, especially since it contains the beta WinFx stuff.

(And it looks like I've got an out-of-date PSDK as it is. Here's the link to the Windows Server 2003 R2 Platform SDK - March 2006 Edition.)

So, first plan of action is to uninstall 3.0 and reinstall the latest 2.x version. Then perhaps we can get started with some actual dev work!

Windows Desktop Search

suv comparison
suv comparison
7/20/2011 10:24:33 PM #

best hybrid cars 2011
best hybrid cars 2011
7/22/2011 4:41:52 AM #

Per il tuo bambino scegli Moncler. Una scelta di capi, estivi ed invernali, eccezionali. Tuo figlio sarà sempre alla moda e potrà muoversi in totale comodità.

ipad features
ipad features
7/24/2011 5:47:54 AM #

photographe mariage paris
photographe mariage paris United States
6/8/2015 1:44:17 AM #

I have come across that currently, more and more people are increasingly being attracted to video cameras and the industry of photography. However, really being a photographer, you will need to first commit so much time period deciding which model of photographic camera to buy and moving  store to store just so you could buy the most economical camera of the brand you have decided to select. But it won't end generally there. You also have take into consideration whether you should buy a digital digital camera extended warranty. Thanks alot : ) for the good recommendations I received from your blog.

11/20/2015 2:40:36 AM #

wonderful site

11/27/2015 6:21:56 PM #

great site

Loida Shaneyfelt
Loida Shaneyfelt United States
1/15/2016 4:58:49 AM #

Congrats! So glad to see this site getting the recognition it deserves, the world can always use a little more awesome.

Arnulfo Rametta
Arnulfo Rametta United States
1/15/2016 7:49:05 AM #

I can't wait to read this masterpiece. Ordering off the menu at fast food restaurants and old dangerous playground equipment have to be in the book!

Harriet Tenpas
Harriet Tenpas United States
1/15/2016 8:31:18 AM #

Thaaaat IS awesome! lol hehe

Arden Mackinaw
Arden Mackinaw United States
4/22/2016 2:40:58 AM #

Thank you so much for offer this info. This is the most excellent feature for pleasure. These are one of the top game & everybody is able to fully enjoy with your games. Simply because i am also play these games. Really hope so these games will have a positive response where you can good feedback furthermore.</p><p>I spend lots of time because of type of games. Finally, Before some days i was installed. SoftMozer is usually a free software application download and install site offering

Anthony Matthews
Anthony Matthews United States
7/20/2016 7:43:29 AM #

You have an accurate point of view, thanks!

Arlette Hodgin
Arlette Hodgin United States
8/25/2016 4:20:51 AM #

Great post but I was wanting to inquire if you could write a litte more on this subject? I’d be very happy if you could detail it a little bit further. Thank You!

Jacquetta Seiber
Jacquetta Seiber United States
4/1/2017 5:12:09 PM #

Great read and I just wanted to wish you luck in the future.