I heart MS blogs

by Matt 3. July 2006 18:12

I really like Microsoft blogs. They're a nice way of getting some insider information. I subscribe to a whole bunch of them.

The absurdly prolific Raymond Chen will teach you Programming for Grown Ups (aside: why buy a book that calls you an Idiot?). Jensen Harris will explain how Microsoft are innovating (and yes, I do mean innovating) on the user interface for Office. Larry and Eric have gone a bit quiet lately, but are still worth holding out for (even though Eric's gone a bit highbrow these days). It's nice to see Jeffrey Snover's obvious love for his Powershell (really, they should have left it "msh". Calling it Powershell just gives Slashdot something to laugh at). During one particularly interesting problem with IIS, David Wang became a bit of a hero in my team. And, looking at the comments, you just can't help but feel sorry for the Internet Explorer team.

These blogs are usually full of tips and information that just isn't in the official documentation. Sometimes it should be, other times, it's just how to join the dots to get it all working. They're a gold mine.

But it goes deeper than this. It's a two way thing. It opens Microsoft right up. Got a question? Find the team blog and ask! Post a comment, or use the form and send them an email (don't forget to be polite).

I've been working on a secret squirrel project to write a plugin to Windows Media Player for a certain well known brand of MP3 players, something that's not really been attempted by many people, so there's not a fat lot of information on the web. I got stuck, so fired off an email to Sean Alexander, who confirmed that what I was trying to do should at least be possible (and also wasn't for the faint of heart, but then, I already knew that).

And you never know, it might just have an actual impact on a shipping product.

I've been name-checked by the RSS team as one of a number of people trying to convince them to change the way the integrated RSS reader works in IE7, and they've changed it. (As it turns out, I'm not impressed with the solution. It's a bit all or nothing, and too easy to miss. A more fine grained solution would have pleased me more.)

But the best one is Scott Guthrie's Web Application Projects. A tip-top plugin for Visual Studio 2005, which brings back the sensible, pre-VS2005 web project structure, saving us poor souls who are struggling with the rather hobby-oriented default Web Site Projects. We downloaded and implemented this at work while migrating a rather large (i.e. the whole site) asp.net 1.1 project to 2.0. I particularly liked the way that it used partial classes to split the code you write and the designer generated controls into separate files. There was just one problem - the generated files didn't create XML comments, and we have those turned on, as well as treating warnings as errors. Which means that the plugin is generating code that doesn't compile. Dropped Scott an email via his blog, and bingo! a couple of hours later, I was included on an email trail from MS that showed it would be fixed and included in VS2005 SP1.

Which means that I (i.e, me, personally) am responsible for getting a feature into a shipping MS product. They added it for me. Because I asked them to. That's rather impressive.

Don't all thank me at once.

Of course, it could backfire. You could find yourself getting dissed by Raymond (admittedly, not the first time).

david duchovny tv
david duchovny tv
6/8/2011 2:31:10 PM #

Compelling blog post, fine job. This couldn t seem to have been documented any better. Discovering this blog post rings a bell in my memory of my preceding boss! David generally kept babbling about this subject. I most certainly will forward this document to him. Exceedingly certain that he's going to have a very good read. Thanks for posting!

suv comparison
suv comparison
7/20/2011 10:38:59 PM #

best hybrid cars 2011
best hybrid cars 2011
7/22/2011 4:47:07 AM #

it ti permette di orientarti con semplicità nel pulviscolare niverso di Moncler.Troverai le indicazioni per lo spaccio o negozio Moncler più vicino a casa tua felpe moncler, pantaloni e abbigliamento sportivo.

best ipad games
best ipad games
7/24/2011 3:59:32 AM #

photographe mariage paris
photographe mariage paris United States
6/8/2015 1:40:42 AM #

Thanks for this glorious article. One other thing is that most digital cameras come equipped with the zoom lens that permits more or less of the scene being included by simply 'zooming' in and out. These kinds of changes in target length are generally reflected inside the viewfinder and on significant display screen right on the back of the very camera.

11/19/2015 2:28:11 AM #

wonderful web site.

11/27/2015 6:57:02 PM #

superb web site.

Marianne Babers
Marianne Babers United States
1/15/2016 5:33:20 AM #

Congrats. And all of the items featured so far should be in the book.

Deena Hofer
Deena Hofer United States
1/15/2016 8:32:35 AM #

一般網店
一般網店 United States
10/8/2018 1:44:49 PM #

互動性圖片

水注
水注 United States
10/9/2018 3:52:04 AM #

彷彿溶入肌膚般地滲透,賦予飽滿的濕潤,打造緊緻有張力的白皙透亮感。

Jurlique 茱莉蔻 【身體基礎護理系列】茉莉護手霜 Jasmine Hand Cream的商品介紹   Jurlique 茱莉蔻,身體基礎護理系列,茉莉護手霜 Jasmine Hand Cream

醫學美容 滑板 cosmetic.wiki
醫學美容 滑板 cosmetic.wiki United States
10/15/2018 4:08:43 AM #

Fashion meets Hotel山本耀司超現實之花都夢    Marie Claire (HK) Edition  國際時尚設計師與奢華精品酒店,可以聯乘出甚麼驚喜來?日本設計師山本耀司為慶祝巴黎茉黎斯酒店180周年,設計僅30件的限量版絲巾。絲巾靈感來自酒店歷史上最具代表性的賓客—薩爾瓦多·達利(Salvador

L`ERBOLARIO 蕾莉歐 【香水與居室香氛系列】紫羅蘭花香包 Accordo Viola Drawer Perfumed Sachet的商品介紹   L`ERBOLARIO 蕾莉歐,香水與居室香氛系列,紫羅蘭花香包 Accordo Viola Drawer Perfumed Sachet

SEXYLOOK 極美肌 【臉部保養】胺基酸洗面乳的商品介紹   SEXYLOOK 極美肌,臉部保養,胺基酸洗面乳

韓國膠原蛋白提拉線,在韓國又稱作FTL(Fine Thread Lifting細線埋入拉提術)」,可達到最新趨勢V臉回春效果。它是運用獲得韓國食品藥品管理局KFDA最高安全等級認證的可吸收縫線PDO (polydioxanone)的Fine Thread(細螺紋) 埋入皮膚真皮層裡作用,利用異物反應原理,促進皮膚真皮膠原的增生、刺激局部微循環、從而提拉皮膚和肌肉,增強皮膚彈性,達到提升、除皺,美白、嫩膚等多重回春效果。

Pedro Jaggers
Pedro Jaggers United States
11/7/2018 12:35:42 AM #

You could definitely see your enthusiasm within the paintings you write. The sector hopes for even more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to mention how they believe. All the time follow your heart.

Trey Chapa
Trey Chapa United States
11/10/2018 7:40:18 PM #

I am no longer certain where you're getting your information, but great topic. I needs to spend a while learning more or understanding more. Thanks for magnificent information I used to be looking for this information for my mission.

Myrna Desantiago
Myrna Desantiago United States
11/11/2018 11:19:45 PM #

I am not sure where you're getting your information, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more. Thanks for fantastic information I was looking for this info for my mission.